Pacific Northwest Says NO to fossil fuel exports!
The Pacific Northwest is under attack. We will fight back: defending what we love, and our climate future. Big coal, oil, and gas plan to transform the NW coastline from Oregon up to Alaska into a vast fossil fuel corridor with over 15 export terminals proposed.
On July 27th folks from throughout the Northwest will come together joining national Summer Heat actions for a fun and family-friendly action, combining fights to stop energy extraction, export and infrastructure development. We wanna demonstrate what it’ll look like if fossil fuel corporations try to imperil the climate by moving fossil fuels down the Columbia.
Sign up and register to attend, ideally with a kayak or sail boat though we need you on the land as well! Sign up to attend, spread the word on social media and start talking about regional carpools!
What: NW Says NO to fossil fuel export
Where: “Vancouver Landing, west of 100 Columbia St, Vancouver WA (next to the Red Lion Hotel on the west side of the I5 bridge).
Limited Parking is available onsite.
Please use public transport options and consider car pooling
WHAT TO BRING!
- Your friends and family!
- as many boats or floating things as you can muster
- some colourful flags, banners, or anything else to make the occasion atmospheric
- sun protection (hat, sun-cream, long-sleeves)
- Water bottle (we will have large containers to refill your bottles to reduce plastic waste)
- a change of clothes in case you get wet and cold on the water
- a camera – we want a good record of the day.
10.00 Site opens
10.30 Workshops: Descriptions Available Here
There will be two sessions of workshops (50min each) running from 10.30am-11.20am and 11.30-12.20pm.
Topics include Fossil Fuel Exports – everything you need to know about the plans to bring Coal, Oil and Gas through the Northwest, Introductions to Non-Violent Direct Action and the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
We will hear from inspiring speakers fighting fossil fuel expansion across the NorthWest.
After a short action briefing we will launch the flotilla! A colorful parade of boats, kayaks, canoes will take to the water to demonstrate our opposition to fossil fuel expansion. A peaceful, symbolic blocking of the river to show that we will not stand for the Columbia River becoming a chute for dirty fossil fuels. Folks on land will be invited to participate in a march on the I5 bridge.
2.30 Music by Zbumba
Get down with Portland 4 piece Zbumba who will play some Brazillian tunes!
~3.30 Closing Conversation
Join this facilitated discussion to debrief the day and discuss next steps in resisting fossil fuel expansion in the NorthWest.
- July 22nd 6-6:30PM vigil for victims of Lac-Magentic, 7PM public hearing on proposed mega oil terminal at the Port of Vancouver oil terminal.
- July 23rd – 6:30-8:30 – Fossil Fuel Export Forum – Leaven Community Center (5431 NE 20th Ave, Portland, OR) – Facebook
- July 24th 7:30-8:30 Volunteer Meet Up for Summer Heat! Come learn how to plug in with the event and help out on the day of. (Laughing Horse Books 10 NE 12th Portland). Can’t make it? Email email@example.com to connect about volunteering
This will be a big, bold and beautiful day and we need you to make this historic event a success. We need help with everything from food preparation, banner painting, to driving boats, parking, graphic design and spreading the word. Sign up here to let us now you are coming and to get involved.
Organized by: Portland Rising Tide and 350 Portland